How Did the Town of Breaux Bridge Get its Name?

Breaux Bridge, a town in St. Martin Parish also known as “Crawfish Capital of the World”, began as land purchased by Firmin Breaux in 1771. Firmin built a suspension bridge over Bayou Teche, tied to small pilings and two live oak trees on either side of the bayou. Travelers were often directed to “go to Breaux’s bridge” when asking for directions, which eventually became the town’s official name. It was the first bridge to span Bayou Teche. 

Country Charm Bed and Breakfast, featured in an article written by Mary White of in Louisiana Road Trips. The inn, surrounded by 250 year old oak trees, offers quaint cottages decorated with antiques. A 5-acre fishing lake is also located on the property. Guests can enjoy canoeing, fishing, playing horseshoes, hiking, and other activities. For more information about Country Charm Bed & Breakfast, call (337) 322-3616 or visit their site at
Click here to read the full article, Bridging the Divide.